8.01.2008

Fair Day

I waited two whole days to see how my entries did in the fair. Aren't you impressed with my patience? Today was sheep-to-shawl day (photos tomorrow) so I could kill two birds with one free admission. Dick met me for a fair-food lunch - Pink's famous hotdogs (the only 'dogs that don't give me heartburn) and yummy, sugar-coma inducing cinnamon rolls . . . with icing, of course - before we checked out the home arts and photography exhibits. This was my favorite - a metal sculpture that appears to be full of bullet holes. Can you see what the sign says? How about now . . . Too funny.

And how did my entries do? Three first place blue ribbons for the cabled sweater,
entrelac scarf and pineapple shawl; a third place for Addy's cotton dress; and two honorable mentions for my handspun yarn and the handspun, crocheted shawl.

The number of overall Fair entries was way down this year. The home arts building felt almost empty. And I was disappointed with how entries were displayed. Most - like my sweater, shawl and scarf - were tightly folded or rolled into balls and crowded into glass-topped display cabinets. In past years, there was more of an effort to showcase the hand-mades; you could better see the detail and work that went into them. Hopefully, they'll go back to the 'old' system next year.

0 comments: