5.02.2008

Tales of a Wannabe Weaver

Warped in December. Started weaving in January. Left it untouched, gathering dust, until yesterday. Finished it today, at one in the morning. Why? Because I need the loom free so I can pack it up later today for the Kansas trip - rug weaving with Jason Collingwood at Yarn Barn of Kansas. I laid it out for photos at 1:10, turned to get the camera and by the time I turned back, Snickers had claimed it for herself. And not just, "hmmm, what's this new thing" interested; she's in love. I can't get her off it.There's a litany of things that went wrong with this project, beginning with using too small a reed (20 dent - should have been 15 minimum) that frayed the cotton warp and threatened disaster with every weft throw (it's a miracle I only broke 3 warp threads).

This was my first time using 2 shuttles - 2 different colors of weft - and the most complicated pattern I've done. It's been a good learning experience, but I'm glad it's off the loom
.

In the morning I'll finish twisting the fringe, then soak it in hopes that the cotton softens up. If not,
it may become a table runner rather than a shawl - or a cat bed, if Snickers has her way.

0 comments: