4.19.2008

Felting Fun

Today's Guild workshop was felting 3D faces with Jane Davis, the author numerous felting, crochet, knitting and beading books. Jane lives in Ventura and teaches at my favorite LYS, so I've taken classes with her before. This was my first attempt at 3D felting and I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought I'd need some 'artistic' ability (which I don't have; creative, maybe. Artistic? Not a drop.) - but it turned out to be a great class where, like tole painting, once you know the tricks and techniques, it's pretty easy. And fun.Only five people signed up for today's class so it was very individualized instruction. We started by wet-felting the general face shape - then adding details with needle felting. We pushed and poked and needled until we had something we liked. Every face ended up being entirely different from the others - isn't Darlene's pirate wonderful? And all the others . . .
My final version looks like a sad 70's kinda dude.
I struggled with the lips more than anything but for a first attempt I'm pretty pleased with my guy.And I only stabbed myself once with the *very* sharp needle. I definitely want to do more of this!

2 comments:

Woven Spun said...

That is so cool. I want to try that...someday....someday soon maybe.

Deneen said...

Neat-I am amazed how cool that turned out.