1.11.2007

Hook Test Dummy

In a recent post, I mentioned that Dick was planning to make crochet hooks, spinning bobbins and other fiber toys. Look what I got today - the first test hook. This one is pink ivory, elephant ivory (pre-ban), and ebony with a bee's wax finish. I wanted a more ergonomic hook than the traditional Boye or Susan Bates, more along the lines of the Clover Soft Touch. I also asked for an inlay or something to rest my thumb on. This one is ivory; he's planning to use exotic woods, turquoise and other materials in future hooks. Most of the hooks - those in the size C - K range - will have wood tips. But the thread hook sizes are so small, it would be impossible to carve them from wood. Those will continue to have metal tips.

Dick's working on a second, all-wood hook - cherry burl and black ebony - and I should have that one to test tomorrow. Can't wait!

Name The Hooks

We're looking for a name for both the hooks and our new company. We had planned to use Spindlewoods, but we weren't fast enough and someone is already using that name. RAP Hooks? (those are Dick's initials) Help! We need ideas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My suggestion for a name is..
Shawl & Awl Craftworks
(like shock and awe!)
Rach

Elisa said...

Cathy, we haven't settled on a price yet, but I think they'll be in the $30 range. I used my test hook last night, and it is nice!

Anonymous said...

What about reversing Dick's initials? PAR-none The hook is gorgeous!! :) v