12.10.2006

Yes, Another One

I walked into the house this afternoon & Gary said, "You got another one?" Yep, I did. Dick & I went to the Rose Bowl Flea Market today (for the first time. Definitely won't be the last. It's incredible.) It wasn't very crowded, which was surprising since the Christmas shopping season is in full swing. We finally figured it out - see the clouds in this photo? That's "weather". Southern Californians don't do "weather". We got 3/4" (or less) of rain in 2 hours last night with some light sprinkles after that. The local news stations were on "storm watch". It makes me laugh every time it rains. But it was good for us today - a nice, peaceful shopping experience. But I digress.

Now that Dick has committed (or should be committed, not sure which . . . ) to repairing spinning wheels as a part-time business, I'm on a mission to rescue as many wheels as I can. This is Maggie. We believe Maggie is of German ancestry. She has several things that I love in an older wheel - castle-style, wooden pegs square nails, and leather parts (the leather is in pretty good shape; probably not original.) And she has some significant issues - broken pieces, termite damage, dry rot, cracks and gouges, and large gaps where the wheel has pulled apart. All of which Dick says he can fix. The metal pieces are in good shape, the treadle and supports are sound, and the wheel and footman work well. Overall, Maggie has the makings of a great wheel. Oh, and I only paid $30 for her. I love flea markets!

And for those of you keeping count, Maggie makes seven.

Yarn Tails Tags:,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my friend has gone wheel crazy. Poor Gary....HA! Did you 'at least' get any Christmas shopping done? lol

Theresa said...

What a beautiful old wheel! I came over from the Fearless Fibers blog after seeing your lovely crocheted lace. You have a great blog and I am going to come back and visit again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elisa....long time since I talked to you....have been really busy this year...I am going to take your advice and get a blog...have so much to share with all. I am presently working on a scrapbook for Kelly with the hundreds of photos she took while in Egypt. It has been fun...she was the one who always complained about my taking pictures over all these years and she came back with over 400 photos!!! It rubbed off! Love it.

I love all these photos of Abby...she is so darling. it must have been soooo hard to leave her...when is the next trip?

my email has changed to capur007@msn.com Just in case anyone is trying to contact me. Are you doing any scrapbook camps anymore? Looks like spinning and crocheting is taking up a lot of your time. Let me know if you guys are doing scrapbook camps...I need a fix with my CA friends.

cpurnell

Anonymous said...

Hi Elisa...I have risen from the dead! (3 days of a very unpleasant flu, but today is the first day I've felt human). I love the "new" wheel! Now why am I not surprised that you've got Dick hooked? It was just a matter of time...what a neat partnership. Luv ya, :) v

Anonymous said...

I saw your post about the Baby It's Cold Outside Sweater. I see you used Plymouth Encore Yarn. I want to use the same yarn but I am not sure what size hook to use. Will I need more than one skein? I wanted to make the 12 month size. Any help will be appreciated as I am also having a great deal of trouble following the pattern. I am fairly new to crochet but have had a bit of success with other patterns. Thanks and happy holidays and have a wonderful New Year

Elisa said...

Hi Ronne, I made the 6-month size (with a size "I" hook as I recall) and it took less than one skein. I think you'll be OK with just one for the 12-month size. The pattern looks a little strange when you're working it, but have faith - it will turn out right if you just keep going. If you need help, please let me know. I had a lot of fun with that pattern and the sweater is beautiful. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elisa, Thanks so much for your reply. I just got back to check today. I am almost finished with the sweater -- you were right to have faith and follow the directions. I just have to put it together and put on the buttons. I so appreciate your response. Happy New Year and thanks again. Ronne