10.08.2006

New Projects

When I'm stressed or overwhelmed, I tend to start new crochet projects. Doesn't matter how many I already have going, starting something new relieves stress and gets me revved again.

But I did actually finish something today. This is Rachel's baby room afghan. I made it with
Lion Brand Homespun, so it's super soft and cuddly. It's big enough to cover mom & baby when Addy fusses in the night. And when she's a little older, mom can use it to teach her the colors of the rainbow.

And the UFO's? Socks. I'm taking a crocheted sock class in Ojai; this is two classes worth of work. We're starting on the heels this coming Wednesday.

Baby afghan.
I like this pattern and love the way it's turning out. But I have to count the stitches in each row - it's not a 'mindless' project that I can work on while talking or watching TV. So it's taking longer than I'd planned. But I'm still hoping to have it done before Addy is born - but probably not in time for this weekend's baby shower in Colorado.

Cashmere shawl. Handpainted, lace-weight yarn.
Gorgeous. Soft. Just for me. This is actually my take-along, mindless project. It's a two-row repeat and I only have to pay attention at the turns. Otherwise, the stitches are the same on every row. Easy. Fun. Relaxing. And beautiful to look at.

So what new project did I start after this last stress-filled week? A new scarf.
This is bulky weight baby alpaca that I had in my stash - I bought it at Anacapa Fine Yarns in Ventura about a month ago. It was so soft; I loved the colors; and it was on sale. How could I pass it up? I'm using front & back post double stitches in a cable pattern. The texture is incredibly thick and incredibly soft; I love the plush feel of it. I will definitely wear this one in Colorado this weekend. Even if I have to finish it on the plane.

Yarn Tails Tags:,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! How am I going to keep up with you in Cambria? I'll need to start and actually finish 10 projects!! What happened this week that stressed you out? Remember the word 'retired?' Tell the world to lump it! :) v

The Knitphomaniac said...

Oooh, that shawl is gorgeous! How many skeins did you use?
Doesn't Deb have the most beautiful stuff? :) I planned to be good until after Christmas (on the yarn buying front) but she had to go and foil my plan with the Tone-On-Tones. I'm going to make a shawl out of the purple and I just hafta have the lime and red. Merry Christmas to me! ;) Last year I bought myself a cell phone, this year I'm getting myself beautiful yarn to make something for myself, for once.
I can't wait to try the cashmere! The plan was to try that next but it'll hafta wait a while now.