8.04.2006

Just A Day At The Fair

Today's Sheep to Shawl event at the fair was a blast. We had 10-15 spinners, 3 carders and one weaver working with a beautiful Romney fleece. The loom was warped with purple Jagger Spun and set for a Rosepath pattern; the white Romney weft showed beautifully against the purple. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture. I hope the shawl did really well at tonight's auction!

It was such a pleasure to sit in the shade, spin with friends, and watch the fair-goers. Lots of people stopped to see what we were doing and to ask questions. I was surprised at the number of men who stop to watch and to comment. Some want to see the wheel's mechanics but a good number talk about family members who spin or do other fiber arts. One older gentleman reminisced about seeing a spinning wheel sitting in a neighbor's front window when he was a young child. It had to have been at least 60 years ago, but he remembered it vividly.

And a little shopping was accomplished. I brought home one natural colored Cotswold fleece, (the photo doesn't do this fleece justice; it's beautiful with colors ranging from black to silver to cream.)
one pelt that I'm planning to use as a cushion on my weaving bench, and some very nice roving.

I'm not going to attend tomorrow's spinning competition - we're taking Gary to the airport for the start of his Denver vacation (good luck, Rachel!) - so today was probably the end of my fair adventures. Can't wait to do it all again next year!

1 comments:

Sharon said...

:( Oh I haven't been to your blog in so long. I LOVE it. Watch me turn green right before your eyes. Lucky!

How did you get this? Were they selling pelts at the fair????? Why didn't I know this?