8.23.2006

I'm In Love

with this fiber. I bought it from a vendor during Sheep to Shawl at the Ventura County Fair. All the other spinners turned it down but I thought it was beautiful. I love browns - and this one is brown Romedale wool with slubs of Tussah silk. So far, it's been a pleasure to spin. I love the tweedy look of the single. I have over 11 ounces of fiber to spin; I'm already dreaming of what I'll make with the finished yarn.

I've enabled another spinner. Vickie spun years ago but didn't enjoy it. After raising the sheep, shearing, washing, and hand carding the wool, she was sick of it before she even got around to spinning on a wheel made by a friend's husband - which, from her description, may not have been the best spinning tool. She's been resistant to trying again, but I have been R.E.L.E.N.T.L.E.S.S. At the Fabulous Fiber Fest last Friday, I talked her into buying a beautiful Cascade spindle. And some wool roving. And gifted her with silk
hankies. And today she did this: And loved it! Her yarn is still in the 'designer' stage, but she is such a perfectionist and so talented, I expect she'll be spinning cobwebs by next week. Hooray! A new spinner in the family!

On the way home from Vickie's, I mentioned to Dick that I have 14 spindles now. His reaction? That I need to buy 16 more so I'll have one for every day of the month. Then I'd have a "complete set". Is he a great guy or what?

Yarn Tails Tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on enabling another spinner. She did a great job. And ya just gotta love a man that supports our fiber passions, ya know? Me...I must make 20 CD spindles over the next two weeks in order to teach the kids at our home school co op how to spin on one...and ack I am not a very good spindle spinner..therefore I shall cheat and bring my wheel.

Anonymous said...

OK, you got me! I spun some more today...thoroughly enjoyed it!
:) v